24 October 2010

Algernon Cadwallader - some kind of cadwallader (2008, Be Happy)

I'm sorry dear emo math/pop/punk-rock out of ordinary band, I tried to love you but I never succeeded, I do enjoyed a few song but a whole album is too much for me as I'm too old, disabused and blasé.



Proposing a mix of 75% Cap'n Jazz, 25% American Football, patent pending but already stolen and exploited (il)legally by many others, Algernon Cadwallader emulate their classics and do it right, with the necessary after-touch of sincerity and diy ethics. It's efficient, even if not truly original.

Just then years after the release of the Cap'n Jazz anthology “Analphabetapolothology”, a few guys from Yardley, PA invented a volume 2 and got some attention of it, waking up more than anyone else, with full forces, the adrenalin and high energy side of the emo midwestern spirit.

There is, as I said, too much agitation on these songs for me, if I was in the mood for something energetic they would be probably perfect. It is also the fact that I'm not and I've never really been a Cap'n Jazz fan, I prefer much more subsequent projects like American Football and the two first Joan of Arc albums, but their influence and faith are so much more for the first one.

I've listened to this record with my attention focused on what happens behind the songs, in the interludes, where the melody just drift apart. These moments are rare but usually quite nice and subtle and show some promise for a life outside of the Cap'n Jazz bosom, though at the same time I have some doubts about  how their singer (who also plays bass) could sing differently, with a less emo/screamo  point of view. Maybe like The Pine, Algernon Cadwallader will be stucked in their actual niche, maybe not.

http://www.myspace.com/algernoncadwallader
http://algernoncadwallader.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment